Pulled pork…do the words just make you salivate? I’ve seen so many pulled pork recipes, but this one (slightly modified from the original recipe at skinnymom.com) was soooo yummy, and I didn’t feel guilty eating it! It is PACKED with flavor…and who doesn’t love throwing something in the crock pot and not think about it for 6 hours? Me! Me!
I typically think of crock pot recipes as “winter” recipes, but this is GREAT for summer. Let’s be real – summer can be as busy as winter, and with this recipe, you’re not heating up your entire kitchen by using the oven! Win, win, win.
Easy Pulled Pork Recipe
- 2(ish) lb pork loin; trim off fat prior to beginning
- 2 small white onions, each cut into 1/4ths
- 2 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1-2 Tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1-2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup preferred barbecue sauce (we use Sweet Baby Ray’s original flavor)
- Trim fat off of pork, pat dry, and cut the loin into 4 large pieces
- In a mixing bowl, combine garlic powder, brown sugar, chili powder, cumin, cinnamon, salt, and pepper; mix well
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with non-stick cooking oil spray
- Pour the dry rub mixture onto baking sheet, and coat each piece of pork in it
- Place the onions in the slow cooker and lay pork pieces over them
- Pour the chicken broth around the pork
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours (only took 6 hours for us); could potentially cook on high for 4-5 hours (I have not tried it)
- Once pork is cooked through, transfer it to a bowl and shred with two forks
- Using a strainer, drain the liquid and onions from the crockpot, SAVING the liquid. You may discard the onions (though my husband ate them up as a snack – they are quite tasty!)
- Put the pork back into the crock pot, or if you’re going to serve it immediately, make sure it’s in a large bowl. Add ¼ cup saved cooking liquid (may increase this to ½ if the meat seems dry, but I would start with ¼) and stir in the barbecue sauce
Now it’s ready to serve! My hubby had it on a bun, while I had mine open face over two pieces of gluten free bread. We had homemade cole slaw as our side (maybe I’ll share that recipe sometime!) but you can have whatever you like!
YUMMO. Hubby approved – he went back for…not seconds, but thirds, I do believe. Ha! Let me know what you think of it!