This is such an easy, weeknight meal that doesn’t require many ingredients and ends up SUPER tasty! I love it! Husband approved, too – he always goes back for seconds! Reheating this for leftovers is quite yummy, as well.
Chicken Fajitas in the Oven
- 2-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed
- 1-2 Tbsp Taco seasoning mix (the link is to the one I use from Trader Joe’s; you can purchase in a Trader Joe’s store or on Amazon)
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- ½ red onion, sliced
- ¼ – ½ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (I actually ran out and tried mozzarella cheese on one of the chicken breasts pictured – still tasted great!)
- 1 jalapeno, chopped (optional)
- ½ avocado, sliced (optional)
- Salsa or hot sauce for topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Spray oven safe cooking pan (I usually use a glass container) with olive oil spray
- Season both sides of each piece of chicken with taco seasoning mix (spread out the 1-2 Tbsp evenly)
- Place sliced onions, bell peppers, and jalapeno (if using) over chicken
- Place in oven and cook for 25-30 minutes, until chicken is cooked through (until at least 165F internal temp)
- Remove from oven, sprinkle cheddar cheese evenly on each chicken breast. Return to oven for 3-5 minutes, until cheese is melted
- Top with avocado, salsa, or sriracha sauce to taste! Enjoy! May also serve this over brown rice, but I’ve found that we’re often stuffed without the added rice!
As I noted in the ingredients, I ran out of sharp cheddar cheese so I placed mozzarella on another piece of chicken – still tasted great. Or you have the option of no cheese, if dairy doesn’t sit well with you! Very versatile!
This recipe is so convenient – it takes hardly any time to chop up the veggies and season the chicken while the oven is pre-heating. Then pop it in and just wait! With a mix of vegetables, protein, and healthy fats, it serves as a healthy AND tasty dish