OH. MY. GOODNESS. If you have an Instant pot, you need to make this meal IMMEDIATELY. Especially if you’re starved for a good pasta dish – never fear! My husband didn’t think this sounded that great, but after he tasted it he had one huge bowl and went back for seconds. Having celiac disease for so long (and not having great options for gluten free pasta when I was diagnosed – there are MUCH better options now!) I have gotten away from pasta dishes – but no more! If this is any indication of the deliciousness that I can have – I’m all for it!
Instant Pot Chicken Fajita Pasta
- 3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes (about 1 inch in size or so)
- 1 red onion, chopped/diced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced (I used 5 tsp of minced garlic from the store)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 Tbsp fajita or taco seasoning, divided in half (I use Trader Joe’s)
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 bell peppers, seeded and diced (any color – I used 1 red and 1 green)
- 5 oz can diced tomatoes (no salt added!) – DO NOT DRAIN
- 4oz can diced green chiles (see photo below for which one I used), optional (this adds a kick – and we loved it!)
- 8oz dry, gluten free penne pasta (see photo below for the brand I used)
- Red pepper flakes, optional, to taste
- Shredded cheddar cheese (optional, for topping)
- Avocado slices (optional, for topping)
- Hot sauce (optional, for topping)
- Add olive oil (2 Tbsp) to instant pot, set to “Suate”, and allow to oil to heat. Once hot, add chicken and ½ taco seasoning (1.5 Tbsp). Stir well to coat, and cook until chicken is white
- Add onions, garlic, bell peppers, and the rest of the seasoning (1.5 Tbsp). Stir well to coat, and continue stirring drequently until vegetables are slightly tender – about 2-3 minutes
- Add tomatoes (WITH juices – DO NOT DRAIN), chicken broth, diced green chiles, and dry pasta to the pot. Stir to mix well, place cover on instant pot, lock in place, and select Manual (or pressure cook) option for 6 minutes. Make sure valve is set to SEAL.
- Once finished, quick release the pressure and remove cover (once all pressure is relieved). The juices should be mostly absorbed. Stir to mix, then serve! Add any of the optional additions to top it off, and enjoy!
I think this is going to become a frequent meal in our house – we both thought it was so good! And soooo easy – did I mention how much I love my instant pot?!
Enjoy! And as always, let me know what you think when you try it!