Threw this together the other night, and it turned out way better than I had imagined! I love that it uses simple ingredients that you already have laying around the house, and isn’t as “high carb” as some other enchilada recipes. Also – with it being so hot in the summer, I try not to use the oven very much – which makes this recipe definitely summer friendly, because it’s all on the stove! Win win!
Chicken Enchilada Skillet
- 2-3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes (about 1 inch in size or so)
- 1/2 red onion, chopped/diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (I used 2 tsp of minced garlic from the store)
- Olive oil spray
- 1 cup Green chile enchilada sauce (I used Frontera)
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed (you can swap in black beans but the hubs prefers pinto so that’s what I used)
- 1 cup frozen corn/1 can corn
- 4oz can diced green chiles, optional (this adds a kick – and we loved it!)
- Cauliflower rice, cooked (I use the frozen kind and toss it in the microwave – could also use brown rice instead!)
- ½ tablespoon of chili powder
- ½ – 1 tsp cumin
- Shredded cheddar cheese (optional, for topping)
- Avocado slices (optional, for topping)
- Hot sauce/salsa (optional, for topping)
- Spray skillet with olive oil and turn stove/burner to medium heat. Add chicken, cook thoroughly until no longer pink in the center, about 6-8 minutes or so.
- Remove chicken, set aside. Spray skillet again with olive oil spray.
- Add onion, garlic, and bell pepper – stir intermittently to prevent sticking and cook until onions are fragrant (and/or a little translucent).
- Add enchilada sauce, corn, green chiles, pinto beans, chili powder, and cumin, stir frequently. Allow to heat through thoroughly.
- Add chicken back to skillet and mix well. Once heated through, turn off burner and remove skillet from heat. Sprinkle cheddar cheese (if using) on top, cover skillet, and allow cheese to melt, approximately 2-3 minutes.
- Serve over cooked brown rice or cauliflower rice, and top with the optional toppings above – enjoy!!
This simple recipe is quick and easy – I hope you like it as much as we did!