Aaaand I’m BACK with a new recipe! I’m sorry I’ve been MIA for a bit, but life has been CRAAAZY. Ready to get back at it and provide some great posts/recipes/tips for you all!
This recipe is a meal prepper’s DREAM! It’s easy to put together, doesn’t take much time, and voila! You have lunches for the next 2 days. Additionally, this recipe would be SO easy to double or even triple if you need more than 2 servings.
Kudos to The Garlic Diaries (http://www.thegarlicdiaries.com) for the original recipe – to make it perfect for me, I had to tweak just a couple of things!
It’s so tasty – FULL of flavor and of course a CLEAN and HEALTHY recipe. 21 Day Fix approved! My hubby can’t stand ground turkey, but he tried a bite and had to admit it was yummy.
Un-stuffed Pepper Skillet
- ¼ pound lean ground turkey (I use the 93% lean version)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- ½ red onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- ¾ tsp oregano
- Olive oil cooking spray, or 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp lime juice
- ¼ cup shredded cheese (I used Colby jack and Monterey blend, but you could use cheddar)
- 2-3 peppers (I used roasted pueblo chiles, but you could use jalapenos, serranos, or poblanos, depending on how spicy you want it!)
- Optional: ½ cup cooked brown rice
- Spray skillet with olive oil cooking spray (or add 1tsp olive oil to skillet) and heat on medium high heat
- Once heated, add ground turkey and allow it to brown and cook through, stirring occasionally
- **At this point you would want to cook your brown rice per the directions, if you choose to add that**
- Once turkey is cooked, add ½ tsp cumin, ½ tsp chili powder, ½ tsp paprika, and ¼ tsp oregano, stirring to combine
- Place turkey in a bowl and set aside.
- Spray skillet again with olive oil cooking spray, or add remaining 1 tsp olive oil
- Add the red bell pepper, onion, garlic, and chile peppers, allow these to cook for a few minutes
- Add cherry tomatoes to veggie mixture; let all veggies cook through until softened. You may need to add 1 Tbsp or so of water if they begin to dry
- When the veggies are nearly cooked through, add remaining ½ tsp cumin, ½ tsp chili powder, ½ tsp paprika, and ½ tsp oregano. Stir to combine.
- Add the cooked turkey back in to skillet. (Add brown rice at this time if you choose to use it)
- Pour in your lime juice and stir all to combine
- Lastly, add cheese and stir to combine
As I said, I tweaked the original recipe, so you are welcome to tweak this to make it perfect for you! I have considered adding some spinach in – not sure how that would go but I think it’d be fine PLUS you sneak in some leafy greens – always a good thing!
Enjoy, my friends!