Tilapia is such a nice, light fish and I love cooking it! This husband-approved healthy recipe was tasty, easy, and a nice change from the proteins we typically stick to. It’s customizable, so use this recipe as an outline/start, but feel free to change up the sides or adjust it to suit you! Obviously you can double or triple the recipe if you’re entertaining guests, and it’s still quite easy and quick!
- 2 tilapia fillets, approximate 4-6 oz each, fresh (thawed if bought frozen)
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- Garlic powder
- Ground black pepper
- Vegetable for side – we typically used asparagus, steamed broccoli, or a veggie medley I made on the stove (if using asparagus, there is an option to cook it with the fish – keep reading!)
- Aluminum foil
- Cookie sheet
- Cooking spray (we use Olive oil spray)
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Pour 1 Tbsp of lemon juice evenly over each tilapia fillet
- Sprinkle each fillet with garlic powder and ground black pepper to your liking
- Rip 2 pieces of aluminum foil, large enough to fold over and seal each fillet
- Spray each piece of foil with cooking spray to avoid sticking
- Place one tilapia fillet on each piece of foil. **If using asparagus, you can place asparagus spears on foil first and put tilapia fillet on the asparagus spears**
- Wrap fish tightly in foil, making sure it is well sealed
- Place on cookie sheets and put in oven for approximately 10-15 minutes, until fish is cooked through – should be white and flake easily with fork (may take a little longer if cooking with asparagus)
- Remove from oven, unwrap foil, and enjoy with a side vegetable you’d like!
This recipe is super easy; the fish comes out nicely cooked and flaky, but not dry! We haven’t tried this on the grill, but I bet that would be a tasty alternative to the oven. While we just enjoyed this with vegetables on the side, you could also use a side of brown rice. Ours was tasty enough that we didn’t need any sauce/dip, but you could use cocktail sauce if needed. Enjoy!!